Multicultural Health Brokers Co-op (MCHB)
MCHB began 25 years ago to support Edmonton’s newcomers. The goal was to enhance the health and well-being of families, and foster their efforts at building community so they could thrive, and actively contribute to society. Our cultural brokers are from immigrant communities, and know first hand the social, economic, and language difficulties that immigrants and refugees face. This places us in a unique position to bridge the gap between newcomer families and Canadian society.
After the initial settlement period, it is the medium and long-term adjustment that is critical for immigrant and refugee integration. MCHB helps this process through our various programs, from peri-natal health, to youth initiatives to seniors outreach. MCHB:
- Supports 16% of all births in the Edmonton region
- Serves 23 cultural/language communities
- Offers inter-cultural competency training for government organizations, service providers, and companies
- Supports culturally-responsive practice and policy development in government and community organizations
- Focuses on prevention, and broad determinants of health
- Offers holistic supports – working with families in a manner that respects their individual strengths, challenges and circumstances.
Learn more about MCHB by visiting our website at www.mchb.org.
Sage Seniors Association
The Objects for which the Seniors Association of Greater Edmonton (Sage) is established are to enhance the quality of life of older persons and their families through the work of staff and volunteers, and in collaboration with stakeholders, by providing:
- Services that promote socialization, intellectual stimulation, skill and information acquisition;
- Services that enhance the safety and well-being of older persons who are, or who may become, isolated, disadvantaged or at-risk in the community;
- Information and services that assist older persons to participate as active members of the community and to reside safely in accommodation that meets their needs; and
- Research and advocacy on issues affecting older persons.
Learn more about SAGE by visiting our website at www.mysage.ca
Gateway is a family resource centre and an employment resource centre that provides education, family support, mentorship and inclusive employment. It is our mission to assist the community to understand disabilities.
We are passionate about empowering families and people who live with disabilities to live fully authentic lives. We envision a community where all children grow within a family; all children learn together in neighbourhood schools; all adults work at real jobs in the community; all adults have real homes and real friends; and all people are valued, contributing members of their communities.
Vision – Gateway envisions a world where all people are valued, respected members of their communities.
Mission – Gateway will be a global leader and influencer in community development that looks to our roots and expertise to break barriers for people with disabilities.
Purpose – Transformation of community through the lens of disability.
Learn more about Gateway Association by visiting our website at www.gatewayassociation.ca